What is Accelerated Reader?
Accelerated Reader (AR) is a daily progress monitoring software assessment system used widely by primary and secondary schools for monitoring the practice of reading.
Objectives of this guide
- To inform you about how Accelerated Reader will effectively raise standards across the school.
- To make you aware of how you can support your child’s learning in Accelerated Reader.
- To show you how to understand the data that has been collected by the Accelerated Reader program.
- To make you are aware of the home school communication procedures in Accelerated Reader.
How does it work?
- The teacher tells the child which level book box to choose from.
- The child will read a book (in class and/or at home).
- The child takes the correct AR quiz. You, your child and your teacher get information on your child’s reading progress.
- The on-line record of each child’s reading can be monitored by the teacher.
- If your child is achieving 100% regularly, they will be moved up within the AR levels.
- If your child is not passing tests, this will be looked into and your child may be moved back a level in order to consolidate their knowledge, understanding and skills.
How to help your child
- To be successful children need to read every day for at least 30 minutes!
- Read with your child / be read to daily (if you have English as an additional language you can read books in your home language too).
- Ask questions about what has been read.
- Ask your child to summarise what you have been reading about.
How to take a quiz
- Your child finishes reading their book.
- They will sit at a computer WITH the book.
- They need to click on the desktop icon which takes you to Renaissance Place
- They put in their username and password.
- Your child then selects their book by following the instructions on the screen.
- Your child is then able to answer the questions and can refer to the book (it is not a memory test).
- A ‘TOPS’ report is printed out for instant feedback on their reading.
Parents are able to view their child’s results at home by HOME CONNECT facility.
Below is an example of Reading Partners (Duolog reading)