Read Write Inc
We use Read, Write Inc as our reading programme in Nursery, Reception classes, Year 1 and 1 /2. We are also using it as a 'catch-up' programme for some children in Years 2-6 (including Fresh Start for Years 5 and 6).
The programme is a 'synthetic phonics' programme which teaches children how to segment words into sounds and how to blend sounds into words. The children learn all the sounds in the English language and their alternative spellings. The programme is very brisk and lively and the children learn quickly and effectively.
We used Read Write Inc Spelling programme (Years 2-6).
The importance of reading cannot be overstated, which is why pupils at Handford Hall Primary School use a software specifically designed to help children of all ages and abilities learn to read and read to learn – even when English is a second language.
Accelerated Reader (AR) is the most popular and successful reading product of all time. AR’s advanced technology helps you:
- Make essential reading practice more effective for every child.
- Personalise reading practice to each student’s current level.
- Manage all reading activities including read to, read with, and read independently.
- Assess pupils’ reading with four types of quizzes: Reading Practice, Vocabulary Practice, Literacy Skills, and Textbook Quizzes.
- Build a lifelong love of reading and learning.
All classes at Handford Hall use the Ros Wilson VCOP aid to writing. Displays in each classroom remind children of the meaning and levels of VCOP. Children are encouraged to collect vocabulary and connectives and to judge their own writing using different coloured highlighters. This method helps to make sense of the mechanics of writing, leaving children free to be creative. Most of the independent writing (BIG WRITE) is cross curricular (linked to Topic themes).
If you would like more information about this, please contact the school.