We are a school rich in languages!
Bonjour et bienvenue à la section française du site de l'école primaire Handford Hall!
At Handford Hall Primary School, we are proud to offer French as part of your child's programme of study. Learning by listening to, reading, writing, and speaking French allows children to experience the language and culture of our nearest neighbours.
French is taught in KS2, with a wide range of topics covered through RIGOLO programme. Learning a second language from a young age has proven extremely effective. Our aim is that by the time our children leave in Year 6, they will have mastered basic French conversation, and be fully prepared for their language learning in secondary school.
In accordance with the National Curriculum we learn a focus language in Key Stage 2.
At Handford Hall this is French.
During the program of study we learn to:
* listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
* explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes
* engage in conversations
* speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
* develop accurate pronunciation and intonation
* present ideas and information orally
* read and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
* appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
* broaden vocabulary and develop an ability to understand new words
* write phrases from memory
* describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
* understand basic grammar, and learn how this differs from or is similar to English.
Our MfL coordinator is Mrs Scales Kennedy.