Spring Term 11th January 2019
Dear Parents and Carers,
Welcome back to a new school term. I expect that the children in 5/6P will work hard and really enjoy building on their learning from last year.
In Maths lessons, the children will be extending their understanding of place value and their fluency and reasoning skills in calculation. They will develop their understanding of fractions, decimals percentages and ratios as well as geometry and data handling.
In English, the children will be studying fiction and non-fiction genres. The children will continue to work on their understanding and use of grammar and comprehension of a range of more complex texts. They will be regularly planning, drafting, editing and publishing their writing with a view to evidencing accurate use of Standard English and features of the genre they are studying. Our first topic is argument and debate followed by short story writing and classic poetry.
Our other subject themes this term:
- History and Geography – Mission to Mars. The children will be applying and developing geographical skills linked to outer space.
- Science – We are continuing to study science during weekly blocks each half term. We will study the Solar System and investigation of new scientific phenomena.
- Music – We will learn to sing, compose and perform in a range of musical styles
- ICT – ICT work is embedded within other subjects, with the children choosing which software and technology is best for each of their projects.
- R.E. and Art will be studied through special enrichment days.
- PE – invasion games and dance. Outdoor PE is on Tuesday and indoor PE, Friday.
The children’s PE kits should be in school every day.
It is school policy to issue reminders to any child who does not have a PE kit in school.
Learning Logs: The children regularly receive tasks for their learning logs on a weekly basis. This work is set on a Friday and due in on Thursday. If your child needs access to a computer to complete a task there is a homework club each lunchtime that they can attend.
Outdoor Learning Focus:
The children will be playing or learning outside every days. All children must therefore wear school shoes that are waterproof and have a coat suitable for the weather.
Please ensure your child is reading daily, 25 minutes per day or more should be a target. Also that your child takes care of their library books and ensure and brings them to school every day.
If you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to come and see me.
Ms I WallisClass teacher Year 5/6