School Logo

Handford Hall Primary School

Get in touch

Contact Details

Google Search
Google Translate

The levels of SEN support

Pupils with the highest level of need should have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This replaces statements. EHCPs are drawn up by the Local Authority after statutory assessment has been carried out by a joint commissioning of education, health and social care professionals. Children with an Education, Health and Care plan will receive support as recommended by services supporting them.


Students with SEND who do not qualify for an EHCP will be identified by the SENCo and recognised in a single category called School based support (SBS). This replaces school action (SA) and school action plus (SA+). Some children will receive support from external agencies if required and others will access additional support from trained staff in school. 


We also recognise that there will be a group of pupils who have less severe needs that will not be identified as SEND. The needs of these pupils will be met by teachers having a good understanding of how to provide differentiated resources and classroom experiences through quality first teaching.